Dr. Zhang's research is devoted to system identification, adaptive and predictive control, neurofuzzy modeling and control, machine vision systems, and various sensors with applications to welding/manufacturing automation, especially to the development of innovative electrical arc welding processes with improved productivity/controllability. In addition to his numerous publications, he has been awarded four U.S. patents for his inventions on sensors, control methods, and processes for electrical arc welding. Dr. Zhang's research has been supported by government agencies and industrial sponsors.
Automation of industrial processes; Welding processes; Plasma arc free forming, 3D welding based rapid prototyping; Numerical modeling of welding processes; Adaptive control systems, robust control theory and systems, dynamic process identification; Machine vision, signal processing.
HONORS & AWARDS:
- Adams Memorial Membership Award, American Welding Society (AWS), 2005
- Poster Paper Prize, 15th Triennial World Congress, The International Federation of Automatic Control (IFAC), 2002
- Application Paper Prize Finalist, 15th Triennial World Congress, The International Federation of Automatic Control (IFAC), 2002
- A. F. Davis Silver Medal Award for Machine Design, American Welding Society (AWS), 2001
- Donald Julius Groen Prize, The Institution of Mechanical Engineers, United Kingdom, 1995
PATENTS & DISCLOSURES:
- Y.M. Zhang and S.B.Zhang, 1998. "Method of arc welding using dual serial opposed torches," U.S. Patent Application, S.N. 9,049,191.
- Y.M. Zhang, Ligueo E, and R. Kovacevic, 1998. "Method of gas metal arc welding," U.S. Patent Application S.N. 9,045, 437.
- Y.M. Zhang and Ligueo E, 1998. "Method and system for gas metal arc welding," U.S. Patent Application S.N. 9,048,758.
- Y.M. Zhang and S.B. Zhang, 1997. "Method of increasing weld penetration using double-sided arcs," University of Kentucky Invention Disclosure No. 824.
- Y.M. Zhang and and Ligueo E, 1997. "Pulsed GMAW control with variable current waveform," University of Kentucky Invention Disclosure No. 825.
- Y.M. Zhang, Ligueo E, and R. Kovacevic, 1997. "Metal transfer control based on excited oscillation of droplet," University of Kentucky Invention Disclosure No. 822.
- R. Kovacevic and Y. M. Zhang, 1996. "Apparatus and method for measuring 3D weld pool shape," U. S. Patent, No. 5,481,085.
- Senior Member - Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), since 1997.
- Senior Member - Society of Manufacturing Engineers (SME), since 1995.
- Member - American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), since 1994.
- Member - American Welding Society (AWS), since 1993.